- Yellow Fever inoculation
- Other recommended inoculations: Typhoid, Diphtheria, Twinrix (Hepatitis A & B), Poliomyelitis
- Flights (DLA or NSI)
- Air France/KLM
- Turkish Airlines
- Vehicle Transport
- World T Plus Sarl 33 43 94 63 (can rent a vehicle, driver, or both)
- Avis 22 30 26 27 or 22 30 20 88
- Taxi – shared or private
- Pet Transport
- No quarantine requirements — i brought pets to and from without problems although there is some prep work involved
- La Salsa – One of my favorite restaurants. Almost everything on the menu is fantastic.
- Buffet for Breakfest/Brunch
- Dinner (especially BBQ nights on Friday and Saturdays)
- La Pailotte — Vietnamese, located in Quartier Ellig-Essono, just past the ‘small Mahima.’ Look for the straw hut over the gate. It can be hard to find. This was one of my favorite hang out spots. If ever you were feeling lonely, you’d go here to find some expats to mingle with.
- Cafe de Yaoundé – This is the highest rated restaurant in Yaounde. Great Italian food, great and inviting ambiance, but very slow service.
- Yao Ba – Love everything about this place. This was my go-to for steak since it is the only place in town that had good beef, in my opinion. It tastes very gamey everywhere else. The hummus with pita bread is delicious especially with the green peppers. It’s a higher end restaurant but worth is as you’ll have trouble finding better service anywhere else. We would usually go to a late dinner around 9:30 or 10pm and then stick around for the live music and performances to start around 11pm-midnight.
- Black & White – My favorite thing here was the brochettes du boeuf.
- Moulin de France – Best pizza!
- La Maison de Corre – I LOVE this place. The kimbap is my favorite appetizer. The staff is always really friendly, and depending on what you order, they’ll cook it right in front of you.
- Espresso House – This place is good for a quick meal or for coffee. They have burgers, sandwiches, fried chicken, and french fries!
- La Plaza – Same owners as Yao Ba and La Salsa, but not near as good in my opinion. Many people believe the pizza here is the best, but I’d say don’t believe them…!
- Le Biniou – Crepe Restaurant
- Parallele Club — Great place to have Cameroon’s signature dish: Poulet DG (translate: Chicken Directeur General). It comes family-style with plantains and is delicious! The service is pretty slow though so make sure you aren’t in a rush. I am pretty sure that the chickens squawking around us were just taken to the kitchen when we placed our order because it took an hour to get our meal! Worth it. We didn’t go there for dinner, but I heard that Friday/Saturday night they have live music
- Pizza Roma – Pizza for dine-in or delivery. Not the greatest, but it’s quick and easy, especially if you live near the embassies in Bastos (Carrefour Bastos) Phone: 237 6 99 33 33 33
THINGS TO DO
- Mefou Primate Sanctuary – as of Oct. 10th, 2016, Mefou is currently closed to the public due to a monkeypox breakout. Check Facebook for updates
- US Embassy Nights (invite only, usually)
- Musée de Blackitude — hosts Thursday night local cinematographers and Saturday poetry slams
- Karaoke at La Maison de Corre
- Ebogo Tourist Site – Perfect to combine with a trip to Mefou. Order a fresh cooked lunch (pick out your chicken) then while you wait for it to be ready, go canoeing (pirogue), and take a walk through the jungle to visit one of the largest trees. You can also stay the night in a cute little bungalow. Phone: 677 2097 36 or 679 9307 68
- Centre d’Art Appliqué – Pottery school
- Live Music
- Yao Ba – live music nights with live performances — the music starts really late… usually no earlier than 11pm, but is a ton of fun! +237 6 99 17 41 41
- Michael Jackson impersonator – Can’t remember the name of the place but it is near Cafe de Yaounde
- La Panoramique @ Hilton for live music
- Market Shopping
- Briqueterie – walk around the Muslim neighborhood; shop for fabrics
- Tsonga (Chinga) aka “Muslim Market” aka “Artisant Market”
- Mokolo Market – can find most anything here especially fabrics, but be ready to negotiate
- Marché du Mfoundi
- Dovv Supermarché
- Casino Supermarché
- Landmark (it has one or two shelves of American brand items; fav place to find peanut butter)
- Orca – closest thing to a Target (lots of cute furniture, bedding, dishes, rugs, decor, and HOLIDAY decor!)
- Hopital D’Esse
- CMS/French Clinic 236 70-90-16-53
- Hopital de l’Amitie: +236 75-50-13-46 or +236 21-61-42-48
- Clinique Dr. Chouaib: +236 61-15-68